16.6.10

Pandora

EPIMETHEUS

Mine is the fault not thine. On me shall fall
The vengeance of the Gods, for I betrayed
Their secret when, in evil hour, I said
It was a secret; when, in evil hour,
I left thee here alone to this temptation.
Why did I leave thee?

PANDORA

Why didst thou return?
Eternal absence would have been to me
The greatest punishment. To be left alone
And face to face with my own crime, had been
Just retribution. Upon me, ye Gods,
Let all your vengeance fall!

EPIMETHEUS

On thee and me.
I do not love thee less for what is done,
And cannot be undone

(H. W. Longfellow «The Masque of Pandora», fragment)

EPIMETEU

Meu és el crim, no teu. A mi em caurà
la venjança dels déus, car vaig trair-ne
en mala hora el secret en revelar-te
que era això: un secret; quan en mala hora
sola et deixava aquí amb la temptació.
Per què me'n vaig anar?

PANDORA

Per què has tornat?
Jo ja hauria tingut l'absència eterna
pel més gran càstig. Ésser abandonada
en companyia del meu crim seria
justa paga. Oh, Déus, llançau la vostra
venjança damunt jo!

EPIMETEU

Damunt tu i jo.
No em lleva d'estimar-te el que està fet
i ja no pot desfer-se.